Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Purpose and the Problem

Classical music is my entire life. I could never get tired listening to it, reading/learning about it, thinking about it, or talking about it. There was no other topic I could conceive going to college for let alone devoting my life to. I created this blog for the purpose of discussing various aspects of classical music in an entertaining yet informative way in the hopes of encouraging others to be more open-minded about music that has been branded as “elitist.”

I discovered this passion for classical music somewhat late. In fact, listening to any kind of music did not interest me at all until I took a class titled “Foundations of Music” while a sophomore in high school. I owned almost no CD’s and never listened to the radio. Luckily, I went to a school that strongly encouraged music at an early age and offered an impressive theory curriculum. This combined with a 24-hour classical radio station nearby fueled my interest and knowledge.


Unfortunately, not many people (especially teenagers) share these feelings. Already being ridiculed for not listening to or knowing about current popular music; society made me feel embarrassed for my musical taste. Like most people, I was also under the impression classical music was boring when I was young and often hear people make the statement, “Classical music is boring.” Even a majority of my music major peers in college would complain about listening to or learning about classical music, viewing it as unimportant for their careers and lives.


How can this single word describe someone’s opinion on hundreds of years of music? Without exploring the world of classical music, people dismiss all of it in one fell swoop. Gregorian chant, Johann Sebastian Bach, opera, Beethoven, atonal music, electronic music, and contemporary “classical” music; all of which differ dramatically from one another yet still fall under what we consider classical music.


This blog will attempt to figure out how what used to be just known as music became so neglected by the general public and how to hopefully reverse this sentiment. The first step in doing this is making sure no one feels embarrassed about listening to and enjoying classical music. Whether you only know a few pieces and composers or you dedicate your life to it; let the world know.


My name is David S. Bowers, and I LOVE classical music!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am thrilled that someone out there is tackling this issue. Given the general disregard for meaning in today's society, and the lack of love shown for works of genius, your task is surely a great one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. welcome to the blogosphere. have you read "the Closing of the American Mind" by Allan Bloom?? If not, I think you should pick it up and read his chapter on music. I don't know if you'll agree with him in full, but he says... some things.. that you may find very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. David,

    Hopefully some words of encouragement:

    1) My high school students are currently BEGGING me to get them to hear Rite of Spring this year. They also are extremely interested in getting to Philly to hear Sheherazade.

    Last year, the entire Spring was filled with Mahler, as we attended a performance of Mahler V with Dudamel conducting in NYC.

    Classical music speaks to so many people! Having gone to a 'classical music school,' I was the norm in loving classical music to the point of near obsession.

    As someone who has worked with teenagers for nearly 15 years now, I have found that all you have to do is share your enthusiasm, and lead them toward GREAT music. They eat it up!!!

    ReplyDelete